Circumpolar Arctic Vegetation Unit W2
- About the Vegetation Map Units
- Bioclimate Subzones
- Floristic Provinces
- Lake Cover
- NDVI and Phytomass
- Substrate Chemistry
Barrens: B1B1. Cryptogam, herb barren - B2B2. Cryptogam barren complex (bedrock) - B3B3. Noncarbonate mountain complex - B4B4. Carbonate mountain complex || Graminoid Tundras: G1G1. Rush/grass, forb, cryptogam tundra - G2G2. Graminoid, prostrate dwarf-shrub, forb tundra - G3G3. Non-tussock sedge, dwarf-shrub, moss tundra - G4G4. Tussock-sedge, dwarf-shrub, moss tundra || Prostrate-shrub Tundras: P1P1. Prostrate dwarf-shrub, herb tundra - P2P2. Prostrate/hemiprostrate dwarf-shrub tundra || Erect-shrub Tundras: S1S1. Erect dwarf-shrub tundra - S2S2. Low-shrub tundra || Wetlands: W1W1. Sedge/grass, moss wetland - W2W2. Sedge, moss, dwarf-shrub wetland - W3W3. Sedge, moss, low-shrub wetland
Hierarchy of Geobotanical Vegetation Map Units (Walker DA 2002)
W2. Sedge, moss, dwarf-shrub wetland
Wetland complexes in the milder areas of the Arctic, dominated by sedges, grasses, and mosses, but including dwarf shrubs <40 cm tall. Subzone D.
Wetland complexes of Subzone D, primarily fens with slightly acidic to circumneutral soil pH. Large components of moist nontussock sedge, dwarf-shrub, moss tundra (see Unit G3) are usually present in slightly elevated microsites such as hummocks and rims of low-centered ice-wedge polygons.
Area: 136 x 1000 km2.
Communities of the class Scheuchzerio-Caricetea.
Sedges, grasses, and mosses. Prostrate dwarf-shrubs and forbs are often present. Acidic variants on raised microsites have hypoarctic, oligotrophic dwarf shrubs (see also Unit G4 and Unit S1).
- Sedge: Carex aquatilis; Carex chordorrhiza; Carex rariflora; Eriophorum angustifolium; Eriophorum triste;
- Grass: Arctophila fulva; Dupontia fisheri;
- Moss: Pseudocalliergon brevifolius; Scorpidium scorpioides; Cinclidium latifolium; Meesia triquetra; Catoscopium nigritum; Distichium capillaceum;
- Prostrate dwarf shrubs: Salix arctica; Salix reptans; Salix fuscescens;
- Forb: Pedicularis sudetica ssp. albolabiata; Pedicularis pennellii; Comarum palustre;
- Hypoarctic, oligotrophic dwarf shrubs: Ledum; Salix pulchra; Empetrum; Betula nana s.l.; Vaccinium;